Friday, August 21, 2009

New Addition: Porthidium lansbergi hutmanni

On the way back for a recent trip to Arizona, I picked up something new along the way. I've been wanting to start up my own Porthidium collection for some time and never thought I'd have the chance to get an Isle Margarita specimen! Well, its a hell of a way to start my Porthidium collection. I picked the little guy up in Houston, Texas as we were on our final days of traveling.

The individual now lives in a small sweater box that has locking clamps on either side ($1.99 at Target, I love these small things). I'm keeping him on a mix of cypress mulch and orchard moss (avaible at Lowe's Hardware for about $4 a small bag). Along with the substrate he is has two small shallow water dishes and is misted once daily. Usually on days when I fed I mist him about 30 minutes before feeding and heavier than on other days, seems to put him into a feeding mode. He quickly goes into a feeding response when food is offered, striking rapidly. It takes a few hits until he finally holds onto the prey. As of now he is eating pinky parts (mainly snouts).

Porthidium lansbergi hutmanni

Isla Margarita Hognosed Viper. CB 2009.

No comments: