Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Husbandry Update

I decided to just do a single update post since much has changed.  I have dove more into gecko keeping with the addition of Electric Blue Geckos (Lygodactylus williamsi), Mourning Geckos (Lepidodactylus lugubris), and of course I've been keeping the Gonatodes albogularis fuscus project going, with all three 2012 hatchlings going strong.  Additionally, I've added several more snakes to my collection, to even out projects I already have.  I purchased addtional Transpeco Ratsnakes (Bogertophis subocularis) , a 1.2 group from Randy Wittington (pair of Mustard Blondes and a female Blonde Silver).  I also received a breeding loan an adult pair of Tanami bloodline / locality Woma Pythons (Aspidites ramsayi).

Seen here is one of my female Mourning Geckos about to eat some fresh day gecko diet.

It has been a bit busy here as I've had success on all fronts.  My L. williamsi have produced 4 eggs, same for the pair of female Mourning Geckos.  Currently all my adult and ready to breed Transpeco Ratsnakes are down in burmation and have been for the past two months.  This week they are going to be brought back up to normal temperature and feeding regimes.  I plan to introduce males to females around mid June if all goes well I'll have more to report on that then, I hope!

My new Tanami bloodline pair is seen hear basking on a mid-day winter day afternoon.

Since the success with my Woma Pythons last year (13 egg clutch, 100% hatched) I decided to add another adult pair to my collection.  This new pair is a different bloodline than I already have, as the stock originated in the Tanami desert.  These individuals just about lack all black, and have reddish bellies, tan bands, clean heads, little black above the eyes, remain a smaller adult size (when compared to my Uluru bloodline), and hence have smaller clutches.  This Tanami bloodline is more market friendly but more widely available in my eyes.  One thing is for sure, this female is not going to have a 13 egg clutch ever.  One odd thing to note, is that the feeding response is so strong on these, they remain responsive through the winter cycle!

I have checked up on the female Womas several times this season and my Uluru bloodline female seems to be developing nicely, while my Tanami bloodline female seems to be a step behind (last time I may have felt small follicles).

Will update soon on L. williamsi and Mourning hatchlings and any successes on Womas this year!

One of my Gonatodes albogularis fuscus hatchlings not long after emerging from the egg.

On a random July night, when all hope of a boa litter had faded...a pile of nice young Hogg Islands!

May 2012, always a welcomed sight!  Woma Python with an impressive 13 egg clutch!

This is my male 2009 Hogg Island hold back, getting ready for special things in 2014!

My new adult female Blonde Silver Transpeco Ratsnake, hoping for a nice clutch this year!

My new male Mustard Blonde Transpeco Ratsnake, love that color!

No comments: